Back-story: Ben LOVES golf. He bought tickets to the U.S. Open Practice Round at Congressional months ago, thinking one of his golf-loving friends or family members would go with him. When no one else could go, he invited me (he was smooth, though, acting like I wasn't his last choice), and I agreed to go (I too, was smooth, acting like I really wanted to go, hehe!). I DID have fun, and it was actually a really pretty day spent outside (yippee!), but I also did feel just a *bit* out of my element at a golf event. Examples are below...
- When getting dressed yesterday morning, Ben said that my first few tries (sundresses and sandals, a TranquiliT outfit and Toms) were a little too "fashiony" for a golf tournament (really? is that even a word? and I'm not even fashiony!!!!). He suggested that I wear some shorts, a polo, and sneakers. Um...what? I don't even own a polo or any of the type of shorts he was picturing (ahem, khakis). And sneakers with shorts to a nice event? Never. So I threw on my preppiest dress and some sandals, and that was it.
- When we got there, I was surprised to see that I was the ONLY person actually wearing a dress. Ben was right, everyone (male, female, adult or child!) was wearing khaki shorts, sneakers, and a polo. As the lovely Cecilia at TS recently said, it was "khaki nation." And I was not a citizen.
- Also, when we arrived, I read the rules that you can't bring in any bags that are larger than 8" x 8" x 8." Really? You mean my 20" x 14" x12" hobo bag can't go in? Nooooooo! I had a mini-freakout in the car ("I need my sunscreen, and chapstick, and cardi!), and then had to just take in the camera (and stick my chapstick in Ben's pocket). Who has an 8" x 8" bag? Oh, these golf-going women did.
- One of my main goals of the day was getting a good picture of Ben and I together at an "event" (because we do lots of fun things and NEVER get pictures together! We haven't taken a good picture together in years!). Do I sound like a girl? That's because I am. Here's how it went:
(30 minutes later)
Me: Lets take a picture in front of this!
(1 hour later)
Me: You promised you'd take a picture with me! Can we take it now?
(Etc. It just continues..)
So here's the resulting picture:
Similarly, although I did learn a lot about golf and golf tournaments yesterday, I also learned some things about myself:
- If there is a merchandise tent, I'll want to buy something. Do I wear polos or hats? Do I care about having a piece of memorabilia from the U.S. Open? Do I play golf? No to all of the above. But when we hit that merchandise tent, I wanted everything. I walked around with a pink U.S. Open mug in my hand for about 15 minutes (the only thing I could even reasonably justify, since I collect mugs), and then when Ben asked if I really wanted it, I said no and put it back. Woohoo for self control (and long lines--the best shopping deterrent ever)!
- I get "starrstruck" (omg, it's the name of my blog!) when I see celebrities, even if I have no idea who they are. For instance, I really don't care about golf. I knew who Phil Mickelson was before we went yesterday, but only because Ben loves him. I had no idea who the other guys were. But, when people started crowding around them for autographs, I was just as eager to get close and see them, hear them talk, touch them (just kidding!). Plus, I started taking tons of pictures of all the golfers once we were there. Why? I have NO idea! Because everyone else was? Because they're supposed to be famous? I have tons of these random pics. For all you golfers out there, my best pic of Mickelson is below :)
- Lastly, I LOVE recycling and was so excited to see that they recycle at the U.S. Open! I think I embarrassed Ben when I took this picture (he started pulling me away by the arm), but it made me happy. If they were going to force you to buy water there and not bring your own bottle (so sad!), they'd better have recycling. And they didn't disappoint!
Now do you understand? Again, I really did have fun, but mainly because I was spending time outside (at a beautiful place) with Ben on a Tuesday--and also because it was a fun social experiment and I had a good time people-watching :)
Have a fabulous Wednesday!
P.S. I'm not really a hippie, but compared to these people, I definitely was. So I went with that title for the post :)